Skip to Content
Free Consultations Available

Do I Need a Lawyer for Custody Modification?

A father and his son playing with building blocks

Did you know, many child custody orders go through a modification every two to three years? It’s extremely common to request a custody modification for a number of reasons. However, do you know if you need a lawyer for your modification? Or will you try and handle it yourself?

How a Lawyer Can Help

Custody orders are put into place with the child’s best interest in mind. Depending on the modification request from your co-parent, suddenly it may seem as if your child’s best interest may no longer be the number one priority. A custody order should protect a child, and shouldn’t be in place simply because one parent wants to prove a point or steal time away from their co-parent. A lawyer can help in these situations, where you may have a difficult co-parent or if you believe the custody modification request is no longer in the best interest of your child.

In an ideal world, you and your co-parent would 100% agree on every aspect of your child’s custody order. But that is unfortunately quite uncommon. Each co-parent has different wants, needs, and requests, and it can be difficult to agree on a custody modification without a third party or a lawyer’s help.

Your Custody Agreement Has Limitations

Although it is fairly common to change a custody order, there are limitations to doing so. Some custody orders can’t be changed if they were recently updated or put into place. Also, you may need to prove that a specific or permanent change impacted your child’s life and that you can prove the custody modification is in their best interest. It’s helpful to consult with a lawyer so that they can help you understand if it’s the right time and an allowable reason to have a custody modification with your co-parent.

If you're interested in requesting a modification of your child custody agreement, we can help answer your questions help you navigate the legalities, and understand the process.

Contact our offices today to learn more or schedule your consultation with our team.