A woman holding her young daughter during a mediation with her husband in a room

Reasons for Custody Modification in California

Custody agreements can be confusing legal documents, but they don’t have to be. Did you know, parents often may need to renegotiate their custody agreements every 2.5 to 3 years? There are many reasons you may want to change your custody agreement. We’ll discuss the top three reasons a judge may agree to modify your custody agreement:

One or Both Parents Have Moved

The first thing you may need to prove in a child custody order is if there has been a significant ‘change in circumstances’ since the last custody agreement was made. One of the biggest changes that could happen is one or both parents choosing to move to another city, state, or country. A judge will often consider what is in the best interest of the child, and choose to make adjustments to your custody order with those interests in mind. You and your co-parent can also work on a decision before going to a judge and can create a plan that works best for you both before approaching the court.

One Parent Has a New Job or Has New Working Hours

Another common reason to update a custody agreement is if one parent gets a new job. Getting a new career with new working hours and days on the clock could significantly change or eliminate time originally dedicated to spending with their children. If you recently started a new job and find yourself scheduled to work during the days and hours you were supposed to have your child, it’s a good idea to look into getting a custody modification. This can help move around the time you get to spend with your child and be sure you’re making the most of the time you have together.

One Parent is Not Following the Custody Order or Denying Your Child Proper Care

The last major reason for a custody modification order is if your co-parent is denying you your time with your child, or if they are denying them proper care. A child custody order is put into place for good reason and has your child’s best interest in mind. Your co-parent can be held in contempt of court for violating this agreement. In addition, if you are concerned about your child’s safety, or if they’ve missed doctor appointments, or dentist appointments, and seem to be lacking proper care, you can also contact your local police department, contact the district attorney, and you may wish to look into modifying your child’s custody agreement as soon as possible. Be sure to keep records of everything happening during these kinds of scenarios.

If you're interested in requesting a modification of your child custody agreement, we can help answer your questions help you navigate the legalities, and understand the process.

Contact our offices today to learn more or schedule your consultation with our team.