CI Blog

Paternity (Fatherhood)

If a child is conceived while the mother is married, the law automatically presumes the husband to be the child’s father. However, if the mother is unmarried, paternity must be legally established before the court will make an order regarding child custody, child visitation and/or child support.

Paternity can be established in a number of ways. One of the ways is by the father’s voluntary declaration of paternity or agreement. Another is by genetic testing at the request of either parent, or by court order. Additionally, a court may still establish paternity without the cooperation of the father.

For instance, if the alleged father fails to answer a legal complaint that he is the father, the court will name him the father by default. On the other hand, paternity may still be presumed even where the alleged father establishes he is not biologically the father. It is extremely important to know your rights because a judgment of paternity will have long term consequences.

Consult the attorneys at Chung & Ignacio, LLP to discuss your issue concerning paternity.

Categories: Child Custody, Family Law

We Put You First

See What Our Clients Have To Say

  • Going through a divorce Is EXTREMELY difficult. It is draining emotionally, physically and financially. I was represented by 3 other attorneys (whom I will not name). I finally met Mr. Chung and he ...

    - James R.

  • Great law firm! Attorney was passionate about my case and worked very hard to win it. I am proud of him because he didn't give up. Will hire again.

    - D.Gaston

  • Even though I hope to never be in this situation again, the one bright light was getting a chance to work with you. Your knowledge, respect, advice, and guidance are unparalleled and made such as ...

    - Anonymous

We Are Here To Help You

As dedicated legal representatives, we will place our resources at your disposal in order to mount a compelling case on your behalf.

Get To Know Our Attorneys

Ready to get started on your case?

Tell us about your case and we will get back to you shortly.

Send My Information